Teen birthday party ideas for this milestone occasion
The "sweet sixteen" party is a rite of passage of sorts, marking a girl's transition from childhood to adulthood. It is considered a milestone birthday, and as such, it calls for special celebrations involving the birthday girl's family and closest friends.
There's no right way to throw a sweet 16 party, but popular ideas include themes revolving around the birthday girl's interests or favorite activities. You can also throw a surprise party, but if you're going to do this, make sure it's clear on the sweet sixteen invitations so nobody spoils the plan.
Throw the Perfect Sweet Sixteen Party
Here's a step-by-step plan for planning the perfect party:
- Decide on a time, date, venue and theme
- Create a guest list with the input of the birthday girl (or do this with the help of her friends if you're planning a surprise party)
- Tally up the RSVPs as they come in so you know how much food to get
- Order the cake well ahead of time
- A week or so before the party, shop for party supplies and the food and drink you'll need; take a final head count before going shopping to be sure you get enough for everyone attending
It's also common practice for the birthday girl to wear a special dress on the occasion of her 16th birthday, so if she's in the know about her party, you can take her shopping for sweet sixteen dresses too! As her graduation from high school approaches, the sweet 16 dress can also double as a prom dress, so it can be a good investment to make as you'll get plenty of use out of it.
If you really want to make the event extra-special, you can hire a party planner to create an unforgettable birthday bash. These professionals take care of each and every detail, freeing you of the responsibility for an affordable price. They arrange everything from the theme and invitations to the food, decorations and cake, which can be a great help to busy parents who may not have the time to plan the party their daughter deserves but still want to celebrate in style.