The perfect wedding dress for the big day
Congratulations! The time has come to get out there and find that wonderful wedding dress - the one that will make you feel like a princess as you walk down the aisle, dance your first dance and mingle with your loved ones on your wedding day.
When it comes to wedding gowns, your options are almost endless. Nothing is too much, no single dress style too over the top. You could opt for a traditional white ball gown or go for a flattering silky sheath. Finding your style might seem like a challenge at first, but once you begin to consider wedding dress collections from today's trendy styles, as well as designer wedding gowns or traditional dresses, you'll have no trouble finding that perfect choice.
Finding Your Perfect Wedding Dress
Get the gown of your dreams quickly and with as little stress as possible, with these quick shopping tips:
- Set Your Budget - Set your wedding dress budget before you shop so you'll know what you can afford to spend. Be sure to add in the cost of your veil, headpiece or tiara, bridal lingerie and bridal shoes. Add a little extra to the budget for alterations or last minute repairs.
- Make Time - The best time to shop for wedding dresses is during weekdays, when bridal salon professionals will be readily available to work one-on-one with you. Take a day off work to do a comprehensive shop-a-thon with friends.
- Keep Options Open - Don't shut yourself off from dress options by shunning styles you may think are not for you. Broaden your wedding dress search to include styles and shapes you might not ordinarily consider. Many a bride has reconsidered a presumed-dowdy dress after trying it on.
- Basic Instincts - If you're not sure about the dress right away, it's probably not quite right. Keep trying until you find the dress that makes you linger in front of the mirror admiring yourself from every angle.
- Find Your Fit - Every dress will need alterations. You'll want to ensure that the dress moves with you comfortably. Alterations can range from structural adjustments like taking in or letting out the waist, shortening the hem or taking in the bodice, to more superficial changes such as adding or removing lace and beads.
Your Wedding Gown Budget
Save yourself a lot of time and effort by finding out in advance which salons carry lines by designers in your price range. Most salons carry gowns in the $700 to $1000 range, but there are also more upscale boutiques that will carry gowns starting in the $3000 range. Call and ask for some rough price points before making an appointment.
If you're a bride on a budget like most of us, there are ways to find cheap wedding dresses that still look like a million bucks. You'll want to check out trunk and sample sales as well as bridal outlets. Sample sales offer the chance to purchase the gowns that salons offer brides to try on. Typical sizes for samples are 6, 8 and 10, and gowns tend to fit small - so don't depend on the sample sale to find your dream dress. Trunk sales and shows are put on by bridal salons to sell off end-of-season or discontinued lines at discount prices. They may also exhibit the newest lines coming out for the upcoming wedding season. If you find you're still out of your wedding budget league, bridal outlets may be the answer. Older designs, lesser-known designers and manufacturers' seconds are kept in stock at outlets and offer a lot of savings to brides who don't mind doing some serious searching for discount wedding dress finds.